Blood is essential for life. Among the various functions of the blood, we can highlight the transport of nutrients, gases, and hormones; a collection of metabolic waste; defense, and immunity of the organism, among others.
Donated blood is not only used in patients who have suffered accidents in which there has been blood loss. Medical interventions such as some oncological procedures and surgeries, as well as patients with some diseases, such as thalassemia, can use this blood. Thus, it is essential to maintain stock in the blood banks to meet the recurring demand, which can only be achieved with a regular donation.
Who can donate blood?
To donate blood, in addition to the possible donor being in good health, he/she must be between 16 and 69 years old. If you are under 18 years old, you must seek the consent of the responsible person. If you are between 60 and 69 years old, you must have made a donation before reaching 60 years of age. The prospective donor must also weigh over 50 kg.
However, it is not enough to fulfill these requirements to be a donor. There are some factors that make the donation impossible, some temporary and others definitive, as we will see below:
Temporary impediments to blood donation
Some factors are impeding blood donation. Below, we list some factors that cause temporary impediment, after a certain period, if there are no other impediments, the donation may occur normally.
• You cannot donate during the gestational period and, after delivery, you must wait 90 days for normal delivery and 180 days for cesarean section.
• If you are breastfeeding, wait 12 months after giving birth.
• In cases of fever, flu, and cold, wait 7 days after the symptoms disappear.
• In case of tooth extraction, wait 72 hours.
• Do not drink alcohol 12 hours before donation.
• Exposure to risk situations for Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) / AIDS, wait an interval of 12 months from exposure.
• Tattooing and piercing require an interval of 12 months to make the donation. It is important to note that piercing in the oral cavity or genital region prevents donation.
• If you have had a blood transfusion, you must wait for a year.
• In case of vaccination, you must specify which vaccine to be able to assess if there is an impediment.
• Medical examinations/procedures, such as some surgeries, must also be specified for evaluation.
If you are a healthy person and are looking for some best blood banks in Bhopal, then you will want to use Allinfonet.com for your best help. Please explore the website now and rest assured that success will be yours.